Calm your Mind with this
Breathing Meditation Technique
Drawn from the mindfulness tradition of Eastern practices, this simple breathing meditation technique focuses on staying in the present moment by following your breath. The idea behind this basic breathing meditation is that by following your breath, you remain in the present moment, free of distractions and free of anxious thoughts about past and future.
Meditate with mindful breathing.
7 Step Breathing Meditation Technique:
- Set aside some quiet time when you know you will not be distracted. You can start out with 10 -15 minutes.
- Find a comfortable sitting position, you can sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor and your back straight, or you can sit on the floor with your legs crossed. Whatever you choose, make sure that you can sustain this position for 10 - 15 minutes.
- As you settle into your sitting position, take a few deep breaths and exhale slowly. Breathe through your nose and allow your breath to find its natural rhythm. Do not force your breath. Just gently let it find its rhythm.
- Allow your attention to focus on the rising and falling of your belly as you breathe.
- Continue to pay full attention to the rising and falling of your belly with each breath. Do not strain or force your breath. Just pay attention. Give your full attention to the coming and going of the breath.
- When you get distracted by thoughts or sounds or sensations, gently bring yourself back to your breath. Everyone gets distracted, that is a natural process in meditation. Just bring yourself back, gently but firmly, back to your breath - the rising and falling of your belly.
- Continue with this breathing meditation technique for the time that you have set aside. The more you practice, the easier will this become. You will that your mind settles down more quickly and that you can focus on your breath for longer periods of time.
With regular practice, you may notice that:
- You are more present in your daily life and activities
- You feel nurtured and connected to your centre
- You are more relaxed and peaceful
- You feel more connected to other people
- You enjoy more happiness
- You feel more centered and more balanced
- You have more tolerance for others
- You experience peak moments, burst of creativity, and flow
- You have an increased sense of gratitude and love
Even though that the 7 step breathing meditation technique is very simple, it is not easy. Any kind of meditation requires patience and perseverance.
Return from Breathing Meditation Technique to Stress Relief Tools