Tension in your muscles? Release it with this
The following muscle relaxation technique is a simple technique of getting in touch with your body and gently releasing tension from your muscles. With this technique you can reduce feelings of stress, decrease anxiety and tension, activate relaxation response, and enhance your sense of well-being.
Here is how Muscle Relaxation Technique is done:
- Find a quiet place where you can have time for yourself without interruption. Lie down on your back, feet comfortable distance apart, arms by your side. If it feels comfortable to you, turn your palms facing upwards and gently close your eyes.
- Turn your attention to your breath. Consciously slow your breath down, making it smooth and deep. Continue focusing on your breath for few inhales and exhales.
- Now bring your attention to the crown of your head. Feel your scalp. In your mind tell your body to release tension from your scalp.
- Gently bring your attention to your face. Begin with your forehead. Feel your forehead. Tell your body to release tension from the forehead. Now feel your eyes and your eyelids. Ask your body to release tension in that area. Continue with your chest and your jaw.
- Now, turn your attention to your neck. Ask your muscles to release all the tension from your neck. Breathe slowly and deeply and concentrate on releasing tension from your neck.
- Let your awareness shift to your shoulders. Feel the tightness and request your muscles to release tension in your shoulders. Feel the tension releasing. Be gentle with yourself. Continue breathing slowly and deeply.
- Next, move your attention down your arms and to your fingertips. With a deep exhale, release any tension that is stored in that area. With an inhale return up your arms into the shoulders.
- Now, bring your attention to your chest. Breathe deeply as your concentrate on your chest. Feel the tension leaving your body.
- Next, turn your attention to your hips. Take few deep breaths and with each exhale, ask your body to release tension from your hips.
- Continue with this through your pelvis, thighs, calves, ankles, feet, and toes. Feel the tension leaving your body, replacing it with a sense of peace and calm.
- When you have completed the cycle of releasing tension from all the parts of your body, continue breathing slowly. Be gentle with yourself. Feel the peace and relaxation flowing freely through your body.
- When you are ready, bring yourself to the present moment. Wiggle your toes, your fingers, open your eyes, and stretch out gently.
Enjoy the sense of quietness and relaxation in your body. Return to this muscle relaxation technique often. With each practice, your relaxation will deepen.
If you don't have much time and you need to relieve stress quickly, try these Instant Relaxation Exercises.
Muscle Relaxation Technique is one of many techniques to help you reduce anxiety, achieve deep relaxation, and relieve stress. Other great relaxation techniques are:
Words of Wisdom
The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.
~Sydney J. Harris
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.
There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
Humor, a great stress reliever!
Laugh, be happy and have less stress!
2015 stress-relief-tools.com. All rights reserved.
ALL content on stress-relief-tools.com is for informational purposes only. The information on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease or other medical condition. The information on this website is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. If you have any concerns or issues, please seek the advice of a qualified health care professional.