Frazzled? Relieve Stress with Exercise.
Experts agree that you can relieve stress with exercise. How? Read on...
I am sure you know that exercise is good for your health. You can loose weight with exercise, you can tone your muscles, increase your lung capacity, improve your heart function...just to name a few benefits of exercise. And - you can also reduce your stress levels and become more resilient to stress.
Studies show that you can relieve stress with exercise because:
- Exercise releases pent up energy and rids your body of the excess adrenaline and other stress hormones.
- Increases the production of feel good hormones "endorphins" - and your mood will improve.
- Will help you sleep better. When you are rested, you deal with stress more effectively.
- You will feel better about yourself. Exercise has been shown to lead to increased feelings of self-esteem and self-mastery - that in itself is a powerful stress reliever.
So, if you want to relieve stress with exercise, begin by choosing a form of exercise that you like. If you are doing an exercise that appeals to you and one that you like, you are more likely to stick with it. And, enjoyment of the activity adds to the resulting sense of your well-being.
Ideas on stress relieving exercises:
- Aerobic exercise - this is what gets your heart pumping - jogging, cycling, tennis, swimming, and rebounding are some examples of aerobic exercise. If you can, find an activity that you can enjoy outdoors. Being in the nature will enhance you feelings of relaxation and well-being.
- Yoga - stress relief with Yoga is based on the principle that stretching releases tension from your muscles. When your muscles are relaxed, your mind follows. Explore these basic Yoga poses.
- Tai Chi - also called "moving meditation" - is a series of slow and gentle movements that connect your mind with your body, while grounding you in the present moment. This gentle form of exercise is an incredible stress reliever.
Before you begin to relieve stress with exercise:
- Talk to your doctor. Depending on your particular situation and health condition, some types of exercise may not be appropriate for you. Make sure you discuss your exercise plans with your doctor.
- Take baby steps. When beginning a new exercise routine, baby steps are important. Some people overdo it in the beginning and that can actually create more stress. Listen to your body and be patient. Start small and gradually build up.
- Warm up before you begin to exercise. Warming up the muscles prepares them for action. Some lighter activity and stretching can be done before exercising.
- Cool down after you finish. After higher intensity activity, it is a good idea to take some time to gradually slow down.
- Listen to your body. Exercise should not be strenuous. It should always be within your capacity.
If you liked Relieve Stress with Exercise, you may also like Fun Ways to Relieve Stress.
10 Ways to Relieve Stress
Breathing Relaxation Techniques
Return from Relieve Stress with Exercise to Stress Relief Tools
Words of Wisdom
The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.
~Sydney J. Harris
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.
There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
Humor, a great stress reliever!
Laugh, be happy and have less stress!